DTSA Policy Directorate
DTSA's Policy Directorate is comprised primarily of foreign affairs specialists with broad and varied backgrounds in numerous aspects of international relations. Civil servants, military reservists (both Navy and Air Force), and contractor personnel work together to support senior interagency and Department leaders, the Director, DTSA and the other DTSA directorates.
Policy Directorate represents DTSA to the interagency, the intra-departmental, the international community, and industry on technology security policy matters. Policy Directorate is the lead for certain tasks delegated by law or regulation to DTSA, including the Department's participation on interagency delegations to Wassenaar Arrangement meetings, implementation of the Arms Trade Treaty and the security review of patent applications submitted to the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. Additionally, the Policy Directorate provides strategic analysis of technology transfer trends, issues, and opportunities. The Policy Directorate leads DTSA's efforts for the following technology security programs/activities:
- International engagements (bilateral and multilateral), including the Cooperative Technology Security Program
- Outreach to industry (both U.S. and foreign);
- Legislative liaison; and,
- Public affairs.
In a typical year, the Policy Directorate plans, coordinates, and executes:
- 25 senior-level international engagements, many involving Director, DTSA overseas travel
- More than 100 international engagements, including approximately 10 major multilateral negotiations, at the office director-level and below; and
- 100 Outreach activities with industry and academia.
The Policy Directorate also conducts up to a dozen in-depth analytical studies on an annual basis, while evaluating thousands of pieces of information and intelligence for day-to-day licensing/technology transfer operations.
DTSA's outreach program is intended to provide exporters with a Defense perspective on technology security requirements and their impact on export controls. If you would like to schedule a meeting with DTSA or request a DTSA speaker at your event, please send your request via email to DTSA's Outreach Team.
- DTSA Policy Directorate
- Phone: 571-372-2438
- Email: DTSA's Outreach Team