DTSA Policy Directorate
The mission of the DTSA Policy Directorate is to lead DoD efforts in developing technology transfer policy in support of the priorities of the Secretary of Defense and the National Defense Strategy. The Policy Directorate is working to strengthen alliances and attract new partners by supporting technology security capacity building and facilitating security cooperation. PD is sharing approaches in technology security and export controls, both on a bilateral basis with partners and allies, as well as through multilateral export control and nonproliferation regimes, in order to strengthen technology security relationships and help establish the foundation for greater defense cooperation. PD is working with DTSA technical subject matter experts and other DoD stakeholders to identify and protect critical technologies in order to blunt military modernization efforts of adversaries and maintain our warfighter’s military superiority.
The Policy Directorate is comprised primarily of foreign affairs specialists with broad and varied backgrounds in numerous aspects of international relations. There are three divisions within the Policy Directorate: Regional Policy, Negotiations and Liaison Policy, and Technology Security Foreign Disclosure Office/PDS whose areas of responsibility intersect and require close cooperation. Civil servants, military reservists (both Navy and Air Force), and contractor personnel work together to support senior DoD and interagency leaders.
The Policy Directorate represents DTSA on defense technology security and nonproliferation policy matters to the interagency, other USG agencies, and international communities, as well as industry. The Policy Directorate is the lead for the following DoD/DTSA efforts:
- Multilateral Export Control and Non-Proliferation Regimes (Australia Group, Missile Technology Control Regime, Nuclear Suppliers Group, and the Wassenaar Arrangement)
- Technology Security Bilateral Engagements (Cooperative Technology Security Programs and Support of Interagency and Intra-Departmental Bilateral Engagements)
- Arms Trade Treaty
- DoD Patent Security Review Manager
- Bilateral Civil Nuclear Cooperation Agreements
- Defense Trade Cooperation Treaties between the U.S., the United Kingdom and Australia
- Combatant Commands Liaison
- Arms Transfer and Technology Release Senior Steering Group Secretariat
- DoD Technology Security Foreign Disclosure Process Oversight
- Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. (CFIUS) technology transfer and regional security reviews
- Outreach Liaison (Industry, Academia, Legislative Affairs, and Public Affairs)
In a typical year, the Policy Directorate plans, coordinates, and executes:
- Approximately 25 senior-level international engagements with partners and allies, both in the U.S. and around the world
- More than 100 international engagements at the office director and action officer level, including approximately 10 major multilateral negotiations
- More than 50 Outreach activities with industry and academia
- Conduct up to a dozen annual, in-depth analytical studies on technology security and export control issues and evaluate intelligence community and open source information in support of daily technology transfer decisions
DTSA Outreach to Industry and Academia is intended to promote mutual understanding of DoD technology concerns and requirements and provide exporters with a Defense perspective on technology security requirements and their impact on export controls. If you would like to schedule a meeting with the DTSA, Director/Deputy Director or request a DTSA speaker at your event, please send your request via email to DTSA's Outreach Liaison.
- DTSA Policy Directorate
- Phone: 571-372-2438
- Email: DTSA's Outreach Liaison